This is my first entry to bloggers all kinds of round-ups, I am sending this post to Srivalli's Cooking4allseasons blogspot for event MLLA, Actually when i saw this legume i was really thrilled because i use lot of different kind of legumes in my cooking, The first thought which came to my mind was, that it was a fantastic round-up at right time because I remember my Ayurvedic doctor telling me long back that we should consume lot of legumes, lentils, dals fresh or frozen or dried during winter season, I do not remember why he said that, but eating them during winter is very good for health. Anyway, I would like to learn all the wonderful dishes created by everybody!!!!. Here is my recipe. I know my picture is not very exciting like others or mouth watering, but the taste was quite nice. everybody enjoyed it at home.
- 2 tumbler Basmati Rice
- 1 bunch of methi leaves
- 1/2 fistful of green gram
- 1 /2 fistful of Rajma
- 1/2 fistful of gongo peas
- 1/2 fistful of soya beans
- 1/2 fistful of white kidney beans
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 4 to 5 tbsp of oil
- 3 & 1/2 tumbler water
- 1'' ginger
- 4-5 pods of garlic
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- 1' cinnamon stick
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 2 to 3 marati moggu
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- First of all wash & soak all the legumes in water 10 hours before preparing this recipe
- Soak the rice for 10 minutes and drain out the water
- First of all cook the legumes separately with enough water, so, now & then u can look into how well & evenly they are getting cooked add a tsp of salt half way through, if u pressure cook them just wait for 1 whistle, I am trying to cook them like this because if they are completely cooked they might become too soft and get mashed by the time we complete the process of making pulav.
- wash & cut the fenugreek leaves from its stalk , once u have cut them do not keep it for a long time they become bitter.
- Meanwhile take a pressure cook pan or a cooker or a deep kadai, heat the oil and put in all the ingredients in the seasoning list with the bay leaves, when they start cracking and changing colour
- Add the ground paste mentioned in the 'to grind list' and fry for some time until the raw smell seizes or good smell comes out of it.
- When u are frying them cut the methi leaves & keep it ready, now add them to the pan and fry for few minutes
- Now add rice and fry for 2 minutes, If it is very good quality rice they will not break otherwise the rice breaks into pieces so, do be careful when u r frying or otherwise do not take any risk at all just add the drained rice into it and now add the cooked legumes.
- Mix all of them very well add salt according to taste ( do not forget that u have already added a tsp of salt while cooking the legumes).
- Do not throw away the water in which u have cooked the legumes drain the water into a vessel and measure them. Add water into the pan & mix well.
- If u have used 1 tumbler Basmathi rice, you should add 1 & 3/4 th tumbler of water then the rice will cook well and the grains also get separated.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook in a low flame for exactly 15 minutes, when it is cool take it out and mix well & allow the grains to get separated, serve hot with cucumber raitha.
- If you are using a heavy bottomed vessel or a deep kadai just close the lid and cook for another 5 more minutes . usually when you are cooking in a low flame the rice will not burn underneath if you think it might Keep a tawa or a Dosa pan under the utensil in which ever you are using while you are cooking. It is called DHUM cooking.
- Do not wash Basmathi rice too many times just one wash is enough, soak the rice for just 5 to 10 minutes, most of the times I do not soak the rice at all , I just wash and add the rice to the pan directly even then it comes very well.
- most of the times i cook in my deep bottomed kadai & my pulav always turns out very well, but u can cook just 1 tumbler of rice with vegetables in the deep prestige deep pan
- If u have a 7 liter cooker and the pan coming with that is also quite small & takes just 1 tumbler of rice, If u have a 11 liter cooker the pan coming with that can cook up to 1 &1/2 to 2 tumblers.