Gonkura leaves, Green Mangoes, Tomato, Bottle Gourd (sorakayi), yellow round cucumber (Dosakaya), Spinach, Amaranth, Fenugreek leaves, Dill (Sabsige soppu/Solikeerai), or any other greens you get goes well.
METHI & DILL LEAVES PAPPU
- 1 bunch Methi/Fenugreek/Menthya soppu Leaves
- 1 bunch Dill leaves
- 1 Tomato
- 1 cup Tuvar Dal
- 2 to 3 Green chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 to 5 Garlic pods
- 2 to 3 Red chillies
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder (instead of Red chillies)
- 1 Big onion
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp Thick Tamarind extract
- 1 tbsp Dhania powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oil
Seasoning: 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds, 1 tbsp urad dhal, 1/2 tbsp channa dal
- Wash the Green leaves thoroughly & chop them, wash Dal.
- Take a Vessel, Add the chopped leaves, Washed Dal, pinch of turmeric powder, green chillies and pressure cook them till 2 to 3 whistles.
- Allow it cool, Meanwhile Take a wok or pan heat oil, add the seasonings with red chillies, chopped garlic & chopped onions and fry them till they become transparent.
- Take the cooked dal along with the greens, mash them thoroughly with a masher, until dal & green mix together.
- Add the fried seasonings, required quantity of salt and allow it to boil for few minutes with the tamarind extract.
- Add 1 tbsp of Dhania powder & 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- Garnish it with chopped coriander & curry leaves and allow it to boil for another 2 minutes
- serve hot with cooked rice & a dollop of ghee.
- When you are cooking with Gonkura you can add 1 tsp of Fenugreek seeds & no need to add tamarind as the leaves itself are sour.
- Increase or Decrease the quantity of chillies or Tamarind according to individual taste
- You can use Red chilli powder instead of Red chillies
- When using Tomatoes check the sourness of the fruit and add Tamarind, you can also use Green gram dal with this instead of Tuvar dal
- Swapna's mum even told me you can omit dhania, jeera and chilli powder and add Dhaniyalu podi in it. This podi I will be posting it in my Masala powder Recipes.